Thursday, December 3, 2020

It Happened!

 I had my first ride on Cinder yesterday. And my first fall on Cinder. Also, my first fall in 6yrs. All within the space of about 10 seconds. 

So, I have been under the probably wrong assumption that Trainer S was riding Cinder. After a week of ground work and lunging at home I scheduled a lesson with my Trainer, J. We showed off our lunging skills to J, and then proceeded to the mounting block. J held her while I put weight in the stirrup and laid across her back. No reaction from Cinder. 

With my heart beating out of my chest, I got on. My saddle shifted a little, but other than putting her head up Cinder seemed fine. We took a few steps away from the mounting block, J leading us, when I felt Cinder's back come up and then was flying through the air. J let go because I was coming down on top of her, and we both landed in the dirt. 

I sat in the wet arena sand for a minute, not really hurt just so mad and upset. I already had the feeling that things weren't going well at boarding school and this seemed to confirm it. Cinder should have been fine with being ridden, or if she wasn't S should have told me. Both J and I think Cinder acted out of not being ready for me on her back, not maliciously trying to dump me. Its possible she wanted to see what she could get away with, but if she pulled these moves with S, I really need to know about it. 

I messaged with S a little bit last night, but she hasn't answered my questions about Cinder under saddle. We tentatively have a plan for her to come out to TCF on Saturday and work with Cinder, and I really, really want to see her be ridden and get some answers.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. Glad you're ok. I hope you get everything sorted out with trainer S. I'm sorry communication has been so poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. That's terrible! It'll be interesting to see what you find out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh this is soooo frustrating, I hate when professionals do not act professionally with full disclosure and transparency

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do professionals do this? You paid her for a service and it really sounds like she did not perform said service. I'd be so pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Ugh. I'm sorry this happened. Trainer S doesn't sound like a very good communicator.

    ReplyDelete