Thursday, June 9, 2022

Holding Pattern

 Not much is going on over here. Cinder finished her round of Adequan yesterday. I've put a couple of easy rides on her to gauge how she's feeling, but honestly, my mental and emotional state is pretty shitty right now and I don't trust myself to assess her soundness. She did feel more even behind, but still has some anxiety picking up the canter. But the canter work itself was really nice. So 🤷

She has been working on her hunter bod with help from the spring grass.

I will say this downtime has been good for her body. Cin's always been a bit of a string bean, and I was told her siblings were similar till around 6 when they all chunked out. Cinder's bulking up happened this spring and she's gone from wearing a 50" girth in March to a 54" now. I barley had time to break in the 52" I bought her. She's also in a warmblood sized fly mask now because the regular size was too tight across her jaw. I had to let her throat latch out a hole from where it used to be. Apparently the only part of her head growing is her cheeks. I've told her that between a new saddle, vet bills, and new girths, she's not allowed to grow out of anything else she wears for at least a year, if ever. 

First ride back in 3 weeks and she was almost asleep

 

Our trainer situation is still up in the air. I haven't heard back from Trainer M on when/if a stall will be open, but we do have a lesson tentatively scheduled in two weeks. She's at a show this weekend and next week. I do plan on going up to the show this weekend and doing a little recon watching her and other trainers. I also have a lesson planned for next weekend with Trainer A. She knows Cinder better than anyone, so if Cin is still having any soundness issues she'd find them. And honestly, part of me still wants to be in her program, even if I'm the hunter in a barn full of eventers. 

Peebs is still the best boy ever. We've been doing some bareback walks once or twice a month and he's been great. He's back in the bigger paddock 24/7 and thankfully hasn't gotten too fat. He's the easiest of easy keepers and I was worried he'd gain too much weight being on grass and out of work. I do plan to do at least once a week walks with him once Cinder is in training, just to help keep his weight down and so I can ride one more day a week.



3 comments:

  1. glad she's doing better! i hear ya on feeling unsure about being the one rider from a different discipline... but, eh, at this point, if i have a trainer i click with that can realistically / practically work for my schedule, location, availability, etc.... honestly i don't really care *what* their discipline is. it all kinda boils down to the same concepts anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinder is growing up!! And out, I guess.

    Let me know when you see trainer A up here. I'll come by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if Trainer A is working for you, there's nothing wrong with being the odd one out! Though for showing purposes it would be easier to be with a h/j trainer. Hopefully you figure something out soon. I'm glad Cin is feeling better. I think sometimes it takes a little longer for the angst to go away than it does whatever was hurting.
    What vest do you have? My dad keeps suggesting I get an air vest but they aren't fail safe. I think I'd prefer a regular one if I do it. Yours doesn't look too bulky. Is it comfy?

    ReplyDelete