Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Reunited

 Last Thursday and Friday were dental days at Cinder's barn. One of Trainer A's good friend from college went on to become an equine dentist and does amazing work. She's moved to Colorado, but comes back to Oregon twice a year to do clients. Both of my ponies were due, so on Friday I hauled Peebs up for his dental. Cinder had gotten done on Thursday.

Uh, mom I don't go anywhere anymore

I was so very excited to have both of my ponies together, even for an afternoon. Peebs hauled like a champ, but was little nervous upon unloading. He called out as we walked towards the barn, and I immediately heard Cinder call back. Her stall is now the first one when you walk into the barn, and she had her head craned around the corner to see us. They sniffed noses, nickered at each other, then Cinder tried to bite the hell out of Peebs' neck. Sibling love at it's finest!

Cinder's turnout buddy Ani was in the crossties behind me when I took this pic, and she was very very mad that Cinder was excited to see Peebs. Cinder is her girlfriend and no one else is allowed to like her and Cinder isn't allowed to like anyone back. We joke that Ani is the butch lesbian of the barn, to Cinder's femme bisexual. 

I chucked Peebs in a stall, letting him chill and eat a little bit of leftover hay before he got his sleepy juice. A couple of the other boarders came up and asked about him, one asking if he and Cinder were really related (I had yelled at Cinder to not bite her brother, and hahahaha no they are not related) and one picked apart his flabby retirement bod. I was ready to smack her; I know he's not a big fancy warmblood and this is a barn full of big fancy warmbloods and he's been in rehab/retirement for almost two years now but I was still pissed. We do not body shame in this household.


Peebs dental went well, and as he was waking up I had a great flat lesson on Cinder. We introduced counter canter and while she was a little confused, she did it. We had ridden outside since it was gorgeous and warm, and she actually worked up a little bit of a sweat. I gave her a quick rinse afterwards, and as she was drying off gave Peebs a good tail and butt wash. His leaky gut syndrome tends to get worse in winter, especially with big temperature swings, and his barn only has cold water. I wanted to take full advantage of having him at SF for the day and use their hot water. I took the two of them out to graze for a little bit before tucking Cinder away for the night and loading Peebs up to go home. They kept calling for each other, and Peebs was uncharacteristically bad about loading up. It broke my heart separating them again.  I wish I could have them together all the time, but I know they're both at the right barns for them. 

2 comments:

  1. Still can’t believe somebody would be so critical of a horses conformation or condition. Like. You aren’t trying to sell her the horse, and the horse is obviously not a neglect or abuse case so… what’s the point?? Grr.

    Anyway tho lol - exciting about counter canter! That’s one of Charlie’s favorite tricks plus it’s so so so good for his weak disengaged hind end…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, those comments! Some people... raised by wolves or something.
    Glad your kids got to spend some time together! So sweet that they remembered each other fondly.

    ReplyDelete