Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Winter Vacay

 Oof, winter has only just officially begun but it's hitting us hard already. Cinder is officially on winter break. I haven't ridden her in twoish weeks? And with the weather forecast calling for snow/ice and days of freezing temps starting on Christmas, it doesn't look like she'll be getting worked anytime soon. But I'm not to upset by it. She's four; it's good for her to get a little break and let her body do some more growing and filling out. 

Her job right now is to eat and hopefully fill out a little bit

Over the weekend and Monday, it poured. I haven't checked the totals, but I know from Saturday night to Monday morning we had gotten about 4 inches of rain. The ponies had to stay in Sunday and Monday because the pastures were flooding. Thankfully the water went down as fast as it came up, and the ponies (minus Peebs still on small paddock rest) were able to go back out. 

It was raining so hard on Sunday I didn't get a chance to walk him, so when it was only sprinkling on Monday we went out for a 15min walk. He was not amused

Of course, when I pulled Peebs out on Monday for his walk, his right hind was stocked up. I found a small cut high up on the inside of his cannon bone, probably from hitting himself while rolling. It was had to tell with his winter fuzz, but it looked like a small puncture. I was waffling on whether to call the vet or not and decided to call. I know if I didn't it would probably blow up on Christmas. Ain't nobody want an emergency vet call on Christmas. My vet was luckily close by and after texting a pic, he agreed that he should take a look at it. Thankfully, after clipping the hair for a closer look, it turned out to be a scrape with a flap of skin folded on itself creating a lovely little bacteria pocket. He cut of the flap, scrubbed the scrape, and put on some antibiotic ointment. We should be good to go, and the swelling was already mostly gone yesterday. 

2 comments:

  1. Good call. Better safe than sorry with the holidays coming! Glad it was minor.
    I hope the weather calms down and you can get back in the saddle soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh Peebs! Can't you wait to hurt yourself until a more reasonable time. Glad it was nothing! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete