Thursday, April 29, 2021

Scheduling for Two

 This is going to be a whiny, first world problems post so apologies in advance. Show season is staring to pick up here in the PNW and I've had a tentative schedule mapped out. 

And then the managers for our main local series announced today that they're changing dates. These are the USHJA Outreach shows that are normally held at the same time as our rated shows, so you get the rated show experience for a third of the price. But due to COVID regulations, and the fact that the Canadian border is closed and Thunderbird can't have their shows, a lot of people are going to be doing the Oregon rated shows this year. So show management decided to bump the Outreach shows to different weeks, and host them separately.

Peebs humoring me

I'm actually ok with the move, as far as it gives the Outreach shows more time and space. Usually the rated jumper classes go first and the Outreach jumpers have to wait to the very end of the day. But then I realized that for the first show in June, the date they bumped us to is the weekend after Cinder's second show. Trainer A's barn is doing a one day schooling horse trial and A is going to show her gelding in addition to Cinder. This will be the biggest group of students she's taken to a show, in addition to showing two horses herself and I know that in addition to grooming Cinder, I'll probably be helping to wrangle the kids.

"Just give me cookies already lady"

 

So, do I really want to spend one weekend as groom/owner on the ground, then show my own horse the following weekend, after working 40hrs during the week? There aren't any other local shows in June, so I would have to wait till July to show Peebs. Which isn't the end of the world, but I'm planning on bringing Cinder home in July and I know it'll take a bit to get into the swing of having two horses at home again. There are two local shows in July and two in August, and I'd like to do one or two of them if possible.  At least I'm not planning on showing Cinder this summer, maybe in the fall if we're ready. This scheduling shit isn't for the faint of heart!

4 comments:

  1. Do all the things. You can sleep when you're dead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got something going on basically every weekend in May, including the reverse of your scenario (showing Henry one weekend, grooming for Presto the next)... I say do it. Sounds fun to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it helps...I live on the other side of the border and have/had a similar show setup in the summers - I can go to the smaller young horse friendly shows with my coach, but they are normally also the shows perfect for the kids too. As one of the few other adults, I do end up wrangling children and ponies and doing my own grooming. Even though those shows are often hectic and chaotic I've never regretted them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha omg yes, please do do all the things. It will be a blip but since both are local it'll be so much easier to handle

    ReplyDelete