Thursday, February 14, 2019

Winter Doldrums

It's been a relatively mild winter here in my part of the PNW.  The past couple of weeks have been colder, with some snow, but overall it's been warmer and dryer than normal. But I've hit that point of winter where I'm done with the cold, and the wet, and have lost my motivation.

Smiling through the cold when my parents were in town last weekend
Peebs doesn't seem to mind the little break he's getting.  I've been trying to ride 2-3 times a week, and usually lunge him once a week as well. He had a week off and when I got on him Monday I was prepared for the worst.  But he was foot perfect and a little lazy. I do need to get both our butts in gear since our first show of the season is in 6wks. I've told my trainer that I want to do every other week lessons, if not weekly lessons if our schedules can work, and to hold me to that.

Whose a good baby getting on the trailer?
Cinder has been getting a little more work lately.  She was naughty for her last farrier visit so we've done a little work on basic manners again. I did sign her up for a halter class at an open show next weekend, so we've been practicing our in-hand work as well. The plan is to take her down Friday night and let her spend the night there.  I figured it's a good experience for her and that way I don't have to get up ungodly early, try to load in the dark, and make it to the show 45mins away before our 9am class. We did a little clicker training and I've been using it for loading practice. She seems to get it, but she's so mouthy I've started giving her head scratches as a reward.  She loves a good curry and will maul you for head scratches.

Must put mouth on everything


3 comments:

  1. i'm so over this season too haha, c'mon spring we're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter is just too long. That's all there is to it! I'm hoping we all have an early (and dry!) spring!
    Sounds like the fur kids are doing well. I can't wait to hear how Cinder's adventure goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. switching from treats to head scratches is a good plan especially if she's going to do halter.

    ReplyDelete