Saturday, December 22, 2012

Looking Back

Looking back 2012 was a pretty good year.  We started in January when I was rehabbing Bud a bit from a nasty cut on his right hind he did in Sept 2011.  We went from basically just trotting cross rails to schooling 2'9" fences. I know we've had our frustrating moments, but all in all he's come so far! And I never thought a year ago that I would bring Phoenix back to work and that he'd be doing so well for Anna, and that he could actually make it back in the show ring over fences.  Add in little miss Zoe, and it was a pretty busy year! I can't wait to see what 2013 brings us.

I started the year doing goals, but that quickly fell to the wayside.  I think I'd like to keep having yearly goals.  Our yearly goals for 2012 were:
  • Be showing 2'6" (hunters, jumper, or eq doesn't matter) and be schooling higher
    • We definitely nailed it.  We showed at 2'6" three times this year in the hunters and eq.  By the end of the year we have schooled one 3' fence and others at 2'9".
  • Attend as many schooling shows as we can, and $$ allowing, one A rated show
    • I ended up doing 5 schooling shows this year (Two with just Bud, two with Bud and Zoe, and one with just Zoe).  No rated show, due to both money and time. 
  • Be schooling 1st level dressage movements, and if $$ allows show at 1st level
    • We did show dressage, and it wasn't pretty.  After our lesson a few weeks ago with Mary I know we can redeem ourselves next year.
  • For fun, go XC schooling at least one, hopefully twice, and take Bud to the beach
    • Unfortunately we didn't do either the beach or XC schooling.  Again, time and money were to blame.  We did go ranch sorting, so I'll say its a kinda complete goal.
  • Be comfortable doing a 2' course without my stirrups
    • I haven't been as diligent about no stirrups in the past few months, but I've been doing some easy bareback rides with Bud.  We'll keep working on it!
    Our goals for 2013 are as follows:
    • Keep showing at 2'6", preferably in the jumpers and eq, and hopefully move up to the 2'9".
    • Long shot, but qualify for Medal Finals.
    • Show 1st level again and redeem ourselves
    • Go XC schooling, to the beach, or ranch sorting at least a few times.
    • For Phoenix, to keep him sound and have him and Anna show in crossrails and possibly short stirrup by the end of the year.
    Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment